Saturday, December 16, 2006

Today's world

Ok well for those of you who know me, I have a book that I like to read, its called The Giver. A good man tends to tease me about that book. But what I think about that book is ........well kinda odd really. I mean they live in a world where everything is controled down to who your partner is. They have a pill that controlls what they call stirings, which is basicly a pill that makes sure you don't have feelings for a certian person. It prefends you from falling in love with someone. The people in the book have stricked rules to follow. After they turn 12yrs old they are told what they are going to do for the rest of their lives. Even the weather is controlled, and they don't see in color they only see in black and white. Now I've read that book maybe about 6 times. Yes I know I'm a dork for that but its really interesting as to how those people live. And it makes you think about todays world in a way. It makes you think as to how lucky we are to have the freedoms that we have. And how much some of us take that for granted. Now when we break laws we are punished for them accordinly. In the book the people have a 3 strike rule, if you break a rule or any rulse 3 time, you are released, (killed) and its takes much more that 3 times for us to break laws considering what state your in and what law you break that is.

Now I don't know about a whole lot, keep in mind I'm only 22 but I have my own ideas and what not. I'm glad that I have the freedoms that I have and I'm glad for those who have fought for me to keep my freedoms and I inteand to make my choices good ones. But this isn't about telling you what I plan on doing with my life. Hell I still have alot of life to live. What this is about is comparing the book to life.

If any of you have read the book I'm talking about than maybe you can comment about it, if you haven't and you want to its by a lady named Lowis Lowery. Its a small book it shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours at most.

But it will make you think. How do you think life would be if you couldn't pick what you wanted to be when you grow up, or who you spend the rest of your life with? I know a long time ago they had arranged marriges and all but I'm talking about here and now.. If you couldn't say how many kids you wanted or make any kind of choice like that for yourself, what would you do? And do you like having the freedoms we have now?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sounds a fascinating book :o)